Tuesday 10 January 2012

Day 6

"This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.  You are my friends if you do what I command you. I do not call you servants any longer, because the servant  does not know what the master is doing; but I have called you friends, because I have made known to you everything that I have heard from my Father. You did not choose me but I chose you. And I appointed you to go and bear fruit, fruit that will last..." [John 15:12-16]

What drew you or appealed to you about the quotation you chose?

It appeals to me because I feel that Christian service comes from a place of love, love for God and love for our fellow man. It is a love of sacrifice for those you love. I was also drawn to that idea of Jesus being not just our master but our friend, because He has revealed all to us. 

Write the word or words that stood out for you. 

"No one has greater love than this, to lay down one’s life for one’s friends." And Christ did just that, He laid down His life for us, His servants and His friends. 

Talk to God, or write a letter to God about what you have written. 

Jesus, You said to your disciples that love was the greatest commandment of them all and all the other commandments come from it. When I think of the great love You had for us, the love that led You to Your passion and death, I am overwhelmed by such a deep, pure, selfless love. Though we love You we are also tainted by sin and weakness and cannot fully love as You do. But Lord I trust that you hold us up in our weaknesses and make our offerings of love to You pure where we cannot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment